Karthika masam-Kartika masam-Kartheeka masam Significance:
The most important significance Day’s in Hindu community is Karthika Masam. Karthika masam starts just the day after Deepavali Amavasya. Karthika month is the favorite month for Lord Shiva amongst all 12 months.The full Lunar calendar is divided into two parts Dakshinayana and Uttarayana period. Dakshinayana period is set for moksha. That means in this period one would get moksha and protected from harm. During this month, you perform Any austerity, be it a pooja, charity..etc is more meritorious than one performed on ordinary days. One really should stick to the rituals to direct a good life and to get Moksha. Danams like swarna, Vastra, Cow will give good results. Upavasams to be performed on Mondays.
Karthika Masam is considered highly auspicious and a sacred month for worshipping Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu as well as Lord Subrahmanya (Karthikeya) with great austerities. Devotees of Lord Shiva perform the Ekadasa Rudra Abhishekam for the whole month of Karthika Masam to please Lord Shiva. Devotees of Lord Vishnu perform Satyanarayana Vrata on Karthika Pournami. Devotees of Subrahmanya perform Skanda Shasthi during this month. Any austerity performed during the month of Karthika would help the sadhakas to free themselves from all sins and leads them towards moksha.
Importance of Karthika Masam:
- Lord Vishnu goes to sleep on Ashadha suddha ekadashi and wakes-up on Karthika suddha ekadashi.
- Lord Shiva kílled Tripurasuras on Karthika pournami and protected the world.
In this month Ganga (Godess of river Ganges) enters in to all rivers, canals, ponds and wells and makes them as pious as Ganga.
- Ayyappa deeksha is also taken in Karthika masam and is continued up to Makara Sankranthi (Jan 15th)
Important Things To Be Performed During Karthika masam-Karthika Pournami:
Karthika Masam Lighting of Diya or Lighting a Lamp During Karthika Masam, it is considered to light a diya in every temples. This diya is called as Akaasa Deepam. Akaasa Deepam (Diya) would bring to the top of the Dhwaja Sthambam in the temple. which is tie to Dwajasthambam.These Akaasa Deepam is on Karthika Purnima or Karthika Pournami Day.
Karthika Pournami is celebrated in similar lines of Diwali and the whole house is decorated with diyas. Crackers are burnt on Karthika Pournami.
Karthika masam-Karthika Pournami Bathing in River or Nadi Snanam
Another important significance is bathing in rivers during Karthika Masam. The rivers have received fresh water during the rain season comprising of Shravan and Bhadrapada Months and have completely setteled by the time Karthika Masam starts.
In Sharad Rithu (season) known for its special Moon light comprises of Ashwayuja and Karthika Months. All along the Aswayuja Masam, the rivers, lakes and ponds would absorb the energy from Moon and get holy power to destroy ill effects during the month hence karthik snaan and one can absorb this energy from the river.
River Bath (Nadi Snanam) Shiva Kartik Maas Nadi Snanam. As per the Science, in Kaarthika Masam Water enrich with more Magnetic Power from the Earth and will be stored in water before the Sunrise this may be the one of the reason for taking a Kartika Snanam before Sunrise.
As in Magnetic Therapy, taking bath on Kaarhika Somavaram (Monday) in any Flowing Water for 15mts. That Human being will get relief from many Health Problems.
How To Perform Nadi Snanam:
The process of performing the Nadi Snanam is to close the nose with the two thumb fingers and close the ears with the middle fingers and take a dip so that the whole body along with the head is under the water. This has to be repeated for a minimum of three times.
Karthika Somavara Vratham
Devotees would observe a Karthika Soma vara Vratham. The normal process of the Vratham would be to get up at Brahma muhurtham (around 4am), take bath in the river, perform the Rudra Abhishekam by chanting the Rudra Namakam Chamakam, listen to Karthika Puranam and then break fast in the night.
One who observes Karthika Somavara Vratham would enjoy every pleasure in the world and after death that person would reach Kailasa (Salvation or Moksha or Shiva lok).
Vanabhojana during Karthika Masam:
Another significant aspect of Karthika month is Vana Bhojana, where it is very auspicious to take food under the Amla tree in a forest or park. By doing so, we are rid of all Paraanna bhojana doshas which we accumulate by eating outside food and without proper prayer and discipline.
Do’s and Dont in Karthika masam-Kartika masam-Kartheeka masam:
- People should get up at Brahma Muhurtham time.
- Take bath with in the river or sea (including hair) if possible or take bath at home before sunrise.
- Perform Pooja at home by offering naivedyam. Visit temples on Mondays.
- Recite each chapter in Karthika puranam daily for 30 days.Also people recite Vishnu Sahasranamalu.
- Daily morning and evening perform light deepam. Light deepam at tulasi plant in the evening after the presence of stars.
- Lighitng deepam in Lord Shiva temple is very beneficial.
- Eat meal once a day. Don’t eat non veg food.Strictly avoid onions and garlic.
- Charity (Danam) has to be given to the poor and the people in need.
- Daily Japa(meditative repetition of a mantra or name of God) has to be performed.
- On karthika pournami light deepam with 365 wicks at Lord Siva temple or at tulasi plant.
- Fasting has to be observed especially on Naguala Chavithi, Ekadashi, Pournami.
- People should perform archana and abhishekam to Lord Shiva.
- For some families they will be karthika Masam nomulu they should follow the rituals very strictly.
- Vana Bojanalu (eating food) under the amla tree will remove off the sins committed.
- Some people use deepam made of rice flour or Gooseberry to light deepam.
- On the last Day of Karthika Masam is also very auspicious known as “Poli Swargam” ie Amavasya day.
- On the last day Light deepam with 31wicks(mainly with puvvu vottulu 31 mainly because for the whole karthika masam) on a banana trunk or plaintain stem(aarti dimma) and leave in the river.If not possible to light deepam near the river or else if not possible in the river You can light a deepam near the tulasi plant at home and in a big tub place filled with water and place the deepam.
Karthika Puranam Books – Karthika Puranam PDF- Karthika Puranam
Karthika Puranam-Karthika Vratham In Telugu by Sri Mylavarapu Srinivasa Rao
—> Click Here
Karthika Puranam-Karthika Vratham Audio In Telugu by Sri Mylavarapu Srinivasa Rao
—> Click Here
Karthika Puranam-Karthika Vratham In Telugu
—> Click Here
Tags: Karthika Masam Festival Story, Why Do We Celebrate Karthika Masam Festival, Celebration of Karthika Masam Festival, Karthika Masam Festival significance, Karthika Masam Festival history, importance of Karthika Masam Festival, how to celebrate Karthika Masam festival